Friday, May 12, 2006

lilo-itis?

recently my church started offering hula lessons, which sounds fabulous for any girl who has always wanted to look like a graceful hula dancer. when my friend told me that thursday was hula day in the centennial ward i too began to daydream of becoming a wonderful hula dancer.
...
those dreams were quickly dashed to pieces after about 2 seconds of the lesson. um, apparantly, i have absolutely *no* coordination. i know what you are thinking, "well, it can't be that bad." "o-ho, yes it can." evidently the top half of my body refuses to talk to the bottom half of my body (which i believe stems from some long rivalry, or something). needless to say that when my legs are doing what they are supposed to be doing, my arms are busy making something up, and vice versa. i believe the technical term for this shall from henceforth be known as "lilo-itis."
...
still, you are thinking, "well, it can't be that bad." let me reiterate, there is a part in the dance where your left arm goes staight up, and your right arm moves from the left to the right in a sweeping motion, while you bottom half is doing it's hula thing (you know swaying the hips, blah blah blah). everytime that part of the dance was *supposed* to be happening, my right arm would sweep and my left arm would arch and point to my head. i haven't decided yet if its because of my dreams of being a dancer (aka ballerina - they point to their heads, right?) or from too many youth dances (you know what i'm talking about, "it's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A!!!") either way, my left arm refuses to point to the sky and prefers to point to my head.
...
given all of the facts, i *should* abstain from any further hula lessons. but, alas, i'm not one to listen to reason. next thursday i'm determined to NOT point to my head. i have this distinct feeling that the bottom and top halves of my body have not made friends yet, and it will be a while before i can get them back together again.
...
my mommy always tried to teach me, "practice makes perfect," although in this case i'm pretty sure, "practice will continue to make everyone in the class chuckle."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine you doing the hula! :) My mom said that it would be fun to watch you. Keep up the good work... and you're mother could be right... I'm not sure. If I tried hula I would probably be worse than you so don't feel bad.

luv ya