Monday, March 30, 2009

have you met [magic] jack?

what? you've never heard of magic jack? ... well i hadn't either ... until i was nursing finley one night and was flipping through infomercials.
we were a cellphone family, until i got a church calling which requires TONS of phone calls and my cell phone gets HORRIBLE reception and drops calls ALL the time (as nicole can attest, it personally despises her). i had been doing research on phone services and was looking into vonage ($9.95 a month for the first 3 months and then $24.99 thereafter) ... and then i stumbled upon magic jack ... it's like $20 per YEAR ($40 for the actual jack and first year of service ... and while checking out will offer you 5 years for a great deal) ... i think like $50 more dollars). yes, you read that correctly, and you can call anywhere in the US and Canada.
...
you have to have it plugged into you computer, and you have to be connected to the internet and the program running to receive and make calls ... but we generally have our computer running 24/7 anyways. personally, i LOVE it, and i love it even more since it is a great deal and we wont have to pay another bill for it for 5 more years ...
...
i've been meaning to blog about it for AGES [we got it in november?] ... and last week i was talking to nicole (who just moved to utah ... sad for me, great for her) and we were talking about house phones and i mentioned it and had to tell her more. she called me a couple days later ... "i'm talking on my magic jack" she proudly said ... you're gonna want one too!!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear you are using this. I too have seen the infomercial and was wondering if it was true. I think once we get to New York this may be a good option for us!

beck said...

my brothers and parents have something like this. dont know if it is called the same but it was a killer deal as well!

Phillip said...

Jodi,

I'm curious - how are you getting internet access? Via DSL or via cable? I'd gladly stop paying for a landline, except that I have to have a landline to get internet (AT&T DSL)...

Phillip

Jodi Jean said...

we get our internet through cable. it's one of the things that we NEED (me: for my business and robby: for his games).

i would imagine that even if cable is more expensive than dsl that the savings in your phone bill would be worth it.

Jim said...

Be prepared to go to war if you ever have problems, because the MJ customer service rivals airlines and cellphone companies in its suckiness.
That being said, it's still a heck of a deal, and I won't have to pay for a phone line until 2013! (Internet access is something quite different)

Haddorkus said...

That does sound like a killer deal but I have that At&T dsl, so does that mean that I couldn't do it?

Anonymous said...

Magic Jack offers a great deal for me it save money. You will not able to pay monthly for your phone call bills in other networks. In Magic Jack you will just pay for $19.95 in 1 year you can call anywhere for free in USA or Canada. Many subscribe on Magic Jack offers but there are people not satisfied I found it in a social network sites. Kindly check it on this link Magic Jack.