Monday, September 11, 2006

attack of the kidneys

considering that my last post was on modesty, i was disgusted when i read the following article:
padded bras for 6 year olds. i mean, come on -- it's absolutely disgusting on so many levels.
...
i also said i would write about my recent hospital trip, so here it goes.
...
on wednesday night (august 30th) -- okay technically thursday morning, but it doesn't ever really feel like the next day until the sun is up -- i woke up around 3 o'clock and had to go to the bathroom (nothing unusual there, i mean, i'm pregnant i have to pee **all** the time). so i did my business, and thought to myself, "hmmm, i'm kinda cold" so i put some pants on, and turned off the fan. i climbed back into bed, and snuggled under the covers. after five minutes i was still cold and starting to shiver. so i put on another blanket, five minutes later i had four blankets on and was shivering uncontrollably. i was so cold that my whole body was shaking and i couldn't hold myself still. my husband was in the living room, so i called to him and he came in. he tried warming me up to no avail. we had heat packs going, and everything else that we could think of. i finally asked him to give me a blessing which helped to caml me down enough to let me fall asleep. although i wouldn't say that it was restful sleep.
...
thursday i was really tired and just generally felt crummy all day. that night i was baby sitting for some friends (3 year old and 1 year old). i threw up in their toilet, and then went home and threw up in mine. thursday night was another restless night and when the alarm went off i walked to the living room grabbed my phone and called in sick. i then threw up again and went back to sleep. over the course of the day on friday i threw up at least 15 times, and couldn't keep anything down (not even water). my temperate was fluctuating between 101 and 97 degrees. it was horrible, when i went to bed that night i told myself that if i didn't feel better in the morning i would go to the hospital.
...
saturday morning i woke up and promptly threw up again. i called my ob-gyn who's office was closed, but an associate listened to my symptoms and told me to go to the hospital. we went to the emergency room. they took my blood, they took my urine, i threw up in their toilet while waiting for someone to see me. they put me on an iv and have me something for the nausea, and informed me that i had a kidney infection. you can read all about it at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-infection/DS00593/DSECTION=2
...
it's not fun, they wrote me a perscription for some antibiotics and sent me home, along with the instructions to drink lots of water and cranberry juice.
...
i wasn't really feeling normal or slightly normal until the following wednesday. thursday i had an appointment with my ob-gyn we heard the baby's heartbeat and everything seems to be fine. she wants me to take antibiotics for the remainder of my pregnancy, "just in case". so hopefully i wont have to go through that again. looing back over the course of events i probably should have gone to a doctor sooner, like thursday after i had the weird chills, which they describe on that website as "shaking chills". that was the first real sign that something was wrong with my body. but being pregnant there are lots of weird things about my body now, and it just seemed like a weird pregnant thing, and not a weird "my kidneys are trying to kill me" thing.

No comments: